We have extensive experience in helping clients use patents to advance their business interests. For example, we have particular experience in the following areas:
- Conducting patentability studies to determine whether particular inventions are patentable.
- Preparing and filing utility and design patent applications in the U.S. and abroad.
- Negotiating, on behalf of our clients, for the broadest available scope of patent protection.
- Conducting “freedom to operate” opinions to assess the risk of introducing new products to market.
- Evaluating third-party patents to determine whether the patents are valid and whether our clients are at risk of infringing the patents.
- Helping our clients reduce the risk of infringing particular patents by designing or modifying their products or activities to avoid those patents.
- Preparing patent maps to help our clients quickly understand the pockets of technology that are patented within a particular technological field, and to assess our client’s prospects for successfully developing and patenting new products in that particular field.
- Monitoring the patents of competing companies to evaluate their ongoing research and development activities, and to assess any potential future risks posed by the competitor’s pending patent applications.
- Challenging the validity of competitors’ existing patents by filing requests to have the patents reexamined.
- Expanding or otherwise modifying the scope of our client’s patents through the patent reissue process.
- Evaluating patent portfolios in the context of corporate mergers and acquisitions.
- Helping in-house corporate counsel manage the activities of their outside patent attorneys.
- Providing customized tools for helping clients plan and streamline their patent-related legal spend.